Sunday, September 8, 2013

It has begun...


(image source)

A few of you know (but most of you don't) that I am not only a mom blogger -- but a researcher and scholar as well. For the past year I've been studying multiracial Asian families with children ages 0-5. Over the last 12 months I have had the distinct honor of receiving many family stories full of joy and celebration, but also pain and trepidation. What started as a graduate thesis last October has now turned into something much larger. MY GOAL IS TO PUBLISH A BOOK!!!

Not much attention has been paid as of yet to our specific demographic. One of my greatest barriers in getting this research out there will be convincing others that our stories need to be heard. This is a truly beautiful project and it deserves a voice. I am committed to seeing it through and fighting for its place in the canon of literature out there on families (to be read by other parents, caregivers, teachers, administrators, medical professionals, etc).

So. Today I begin sharing my (hopeful) journey to publication with all of you. One, so you know I see you, I hear you, and I'm working to give your family life presence in the American and global consciousness. But two, because I need your support. As I move this project forward, no one will be convinced if I stand alone. Power in numbers, right? Please keep reading here. Subscribe. Or Follow me on Facebook, Twitter @MultiraceAsianFams, Pinterest (whatever your poison). LIKE, SHARE, RT. Spread the word. Because when I bring this to the gatekeepers, it's not going to get through if it's just me.

But you can bet it will... if it's all of us.

***

Today's update?




4 comments :

  1. Go, Sharon, go!

    Yesterday, my multi-ethnic family attended an area Aki Matsuri (Japanese fall) festival. So many others are out there, and every day presents an opportunity to connect, to teach and to heal where healing is needed.

    Just in one day, we had the opportunity to challenge people's assumptions about whether or not children of a non-Japanese mother can speak Japanese (mine can!) We clearly blew some people's minds regarding the Asian man/non-Asian woman combination (lots of stares.)

    My very favorite thing was to see the smiles, stares (and in a couple of cases) misty eyes of African/Japanese American kids, as if to communicate, "I'm not weird! I'm not the only one!"

    Go, Sharon, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you said crazy doesn't cut it for real when it comes to family life :0) Good luck with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. followed you on fb and pinterest, will look out for more info as we are a mixed asian & european family

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT EVERYONE!!!

    ReplyDelete